Sunday, June 21, 2015

My Version of Macbeth

Macbeth is definitely an amazing piece of literary art; with that being said, there is room for improvement from my point of view.

The first change that I would make is changing the Witches to more realistic characters. If a regular character predicted Macbeth's prophecy, I think the story would've had a stronger and more believable plot. Obviously this is a fairytale, but I still think that could have made the story more engaging.

I understand that Macbeth is a tyrant and a coward, but I think the story could've proceeded without the murdering of Macduff's family. That part of the story wasn't necessary; it was simply cruel and disgusting. Macbeth should've sent the assassins after Macduff himself rather than his family. I know this strengthens the image of Macbeth's cruelty, but for many young readers, it could teach the wrong lesson.
Macduff's Wife and Child

Shakespeare also could've expanded on Malcolm's character. The audience comes to know King Duncan very well; he's a loyal, kind, and welcoming king, whom so many admire. What about his son? There is a full scene with his son in England talking to Macduff, but one doesn't really get to know who Malcolm really is and what kind of person he is. He talks a lot about what he wants to do with Scotland, but words differ from actions. It would've been nice to see Malcolm ruling Scotland for a short period of time.

A character I would have completely removed from the story would've been Fleance. Fleance causes confusion in the plot when he flees to safety after witnessing his father's death. Shakespeare doesn't expand on his whereabouts or his plans. This creates an uneasy tension for the reader: will he come back? Will he avenge his father's death? I believe that Fleance was a completely pointless character and served no purpose in Macbeth.
Fleance


No comments:

Post a Comment